PHASE 2 APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS
The following documents must be filled out completely and turned in by the given deadline. Incomplete applications will not be accepted. Once an applicant has completed an orientation and interview he/she will be notified via email to begin the Phase 2 Application. The Phase 2 Application is largely comprised of supporting documentation. You may begin collecting these documents at this time, however, do not submit them until you receive notification. It strongly suggested that you start collecting the documents early. Copies of original documents are acceptable. Please maintain copies of all application documents for your record.
REQUIRED EDUCATIONAL DOCUMENTS
1. Recommendation Letter (required). Form to be completed online by a school official such as a teacher, paraeducator, counselor, vice-principal, principal that has knowledge of the student's current educational experience.
2. COPY - High School Transcripts. Submit all high school transcripts from 9th grade to current year. Transcripts do not have to be official at this time.
3. COPY - Attendance Records. This document consists of school records of student absences (both excused and unexcused).
4. COPY - Behavioral Records. This document includes descriptions of any disciplinary incidents or events and corrective action taken by the school.
5. COPY - IEP. Individualized Educational Plan and Triennial Report (if applicable). An IEP is a legal document that lays out the program of special education instruction, supports, and service kids need to make progress and thrive in school. The Triennial Evaluation is required every three years based on the date of the last triennial review to determine if special education services are still needed.
6. COPY - 504 Plan (if applicable). A 504 Plan is a plan developed to ensure that a child who has a disability identified under the law and is attending an educational institution receives accommodations that will ensure their academic success and access to the learning environment.
REQUIRED LEGAL DOCUMENTS
1. COPY - Notarized Power of Attorney
2. COPY - Legal Supporting Documents for any adverse legal involvement (citations, arrests, court proceedings, probation...etc.). If you are currently involved in the legal system Sunburst has a letter that can be submitted by a legal representative involved in a students current situation. For any students who in the past have had any legal issues, supporting documentation such as minute orders, copies of citations, receipts of payment...etc. will be required.
3. COPY - Birth Certificate. Other forms authorized to prove citizenship include: Certificate of Citizenship (N560 or N561), Certificate of Naturalization (N550, N570 or N578), U.S. Citizen Identification Car (I-197, I-179), U.S. Certificate of Birth Abroad (DS-1350 or FS-545), Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the U.S. (FS-240).
Other forms authorized to prove legal residency include: Permanent Resident Alien Card (I-551), Foreign passport stamped by the U.S. Government indicating that the hold has been "Processed for I-551", Permanent resident Re-entry Permit (I-327), Arrival Departure Form I-94 with "Temporary I-551" stamp and holder's photograph affixed, Travel Document issued to Permanent Residents (I-327), Travel Document issued to Refugees (I-571).
4. COPY - Social Security Card.
5. COPY - California ID or Receipt of CA ID Application. If you are applying for a California ID for the first time you will initially be provided a receipt. You may use that for your initial application submission. Please send us a copy of the California ID once it is received (typically 2-3 weeks following your appointment).
6. COPY - Custody Documentation (if applicable). Provide a copy of custody agreement if there is any specific custody arrangements.
REQUIRED MEDICAL DOCUMENTS
1. COPY - Sports Physical Form. Please have this form completed, stamped and signed by your physician.
2. COPY - Immunization Record. Immunizations must be up to date. The following immunizations are required: Tdap, MCV4, Meningococcal Group B, HPV, MMR, Seasonal Flu. The required immunizations are also listed on the Sports Physical Form. You may submit copies of the yellow immunization records or a printout.
3. COPY - TB Test Form: TB Test must be administered within one year of the program start date. In other words, if you are applying for the July 2021 class, the TB Test must have been completed after July 2020. The TB Test form is attached to the Sports Physical. It may also be annotated on the immunization records.
4. COPY - Health Insurance Card. All students must have active health insurance prior to entry.
ADDITIONAL DOCUMENTS THAT MAY BE REQUIRED
1. Legal Clearance Letter. In some cases a student may be able to have a legal representative complete this form verifying legal eligibility.
2. Therapist Clearance. It may be determined throughout the course of an application that a student must submit a letter from a Therapist to further evaluate suitability for the academy. If asked to submit this letter please provide the current/most recent therapist/counselor with this form.
3. Psychological Evaluation. A psychological evaluation is a method to assess an individual's behavior, personality, cognitive abilities, and several other domains. It is the mental equivalent of a physical examination. You may request a copy of your complete Psychological Evaluation through the treating psychologist.
4. Covid-19 Clearance. If the applicant has tested positive for Covid-19 in the past and experienced moderate to severe symptoms as outlined by the CDC will be required to provide a medical clearance from a Cardiologist. To find out if this applies to you, complete the following questionnaire.
HOW TO SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION
Once your Phase 2 Application is complete, you may submit by your preferred method:
1. Regular Mail: Certified is the recommended method.
Sunburst Youth Academy
Attn: Admissions Department
P.O. Box 2980
Los Alamitos, CA 90720
2. Overnight delivery by UPS or FedEx:
Sunburst Youth Academy
Attn: Admissions Dept.
4022 Saratoga Ave, BLDG: 21
Los Alamitos, CA 90720
3. Email PDF files of all Phase 2 Application documents to:
Subject Line: Class 28 P2 Application, Student Last Name, First Name.